Wednesday 22 March 2017

Times tables...easy!

Having trouble with your times tables?

Knowing your times tables is one of the most important building blocks in your Mathematical learning. I know what some of you are thinking, 'That's what calculators are for!' Yes, calculators make large computations quicker, however, as students are learning Mathematical concepts all through school they need to be able to quickly find solutions so that they can focus on the working out and not the times table fact.

In my experience as a teacher for over 12 years, those students who know their times tables spend all their brain power on learning concepts and do so more quickly and effectively.

It's also my experience that the best place to learn (by this I mean practicing) times tables is at home.

Lucky for you, I have a couple of resources that I have seen work. Also, here are some other ideas that assist in the learning of your times tables:

1. Understand that there is not that much to learn in the first place. After learning your 1's and 10's the amount you need to remember goes from 100 to 64. Then, understand that multiplication works both ways, ie. 5x7 = 7x5, so there are only 36 combinations to remember.
  2. Start with skip counting. Learn the skips really, really well before you start memorising the multiplication.
  3. Revise times tables you know, but focus on one times tables at a time.
  4. As you are learning a new times table write it out so that their mind can associate the numbers together (3 x 5 = 15)
  5. Practice for short amounts of time but often.

Some effective strategies video clip

No comments:

Post a Comment