Monday 31 July 2017

Planted by streams of water

Welcome all to Term 3! Yes that's right, in about six months these students will be the big kids on the Primary block.

I always enjoy the start of each term and the energy and wonder new topics always brings. This term is no exception.

I like to start each term with an overall learning objective and explore this with the students throughout the term. This term my inspiration came from Psalm 1:3.

That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
    which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
    whatever they do prospers.

I'd like to see students be 'planted' on a concept for longer periods of time this term. By spending more time hearing God's word we will develop good spiritual fruit, similarly, by spending more time reflecting and going deeper, I hope to encourage students to see themselves as learners with unlimited potential.

Austin's Butterfly

I had students sketch a tree and then watch this video about critiquing and feedback.

Students then formed critique groups to encourage feedback and growth in their next attempt.

It was uncomfortable for some, however, after a bit of practice, students placed their pride to one side and took the advice on board.

We will finish this activity with a wall display as the term progresses.

Feedback is a great tool for improvement, do you know of others?

3 comments:

1. It look like the class is working hard. As we always are, Even though sometimes it gets really hard our class strives for their best!!

ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like they were working as hard as ever, like how we were doing a drawing of a tree and getting better, also doing different drafts top get better. Everyone kept working hard as always.
    siennah

ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! it looks like you guys are doing a lot of hard work there.
    from christian t.

ReplyDelete